Disputes between Unmarried Partners about Money

Solicitors in Essex & London

If you are not married, there is no automatic right to make a financial claim against your former partner in the event of a separation. There is no such thing as a 'common-law husband' or 'common-law wife' and living in a property that you do not legally own for any set period of time will not create an interest in it for you.

If you are not married to your partner, you will not be able to make a claim against your partner for maintenance, a lump sum of money or for a share of your partner's pension.

You may, however, be able to make a claim regarding a property if you jointly own that property with your partner or, in limited circumstances, if your partner owns a property that you live/lived in that is in his or her sole name. This is a tricky area of family law, and our specialist separation solicitors have experience in dealing with disputes between unmarried partners about finances.

Book A Free Initial Family Consultation


Find out more with a free initial Family law consultation

If you are seeking legal advice relating to a financial dispute between yourself and your ex-partner, our specialist family solicitors are able to support you. We offer a free 30-minute initial meeting to provide you with some general advice which will enable you to plan your future and next steps. Free initial consultations and fixed fee appointments with our family solicitors are available at any one of our offices across Essex and London.*

*Free appointments are only available at our main offices in Upminster, Brentwood and Hornchurch and are not available in cases where proceedings have been issued.

© Pinney Talfourd Solicitors |  Disclaimer | Offices: Upminster  |  Brentwood  |  Hornchurch  |  Leigh-on-Sea  |  Canary Wharf