My partner / spouse spent time with the child / children and now refuses to return them – what can I do?


The police can be contacted in the first instance and then an urgent application under the Children Act 1989 for a ‘Specific Issue Order’ can be made for the immediate return of the child/children. If there is a risk to their safety and wellbeing, this may be made without notice to the parent who is keeping the child/children, or it may be that an urgent hearing with notice to that parent is given for the court to then determine whether that child/children should be returned. If the application is made ex parte (without notice) the court will try to list the application as quickly as possible and also list the matter for a further hearing within a short period of time so as to give the other party an opportunity to put forward their reasons.

Footer bg

Would you like to know more?

For help and advice, talk to a member of our team. They can advise on the best options in your matter.

Call: 01708 229 444 Email us


Portfolio Builder

Select the legal services that you would like to download or add to the portfolio

    Download    Add to portfolio   

    Remove All


    Click here to share this shortlist.
    (It will expire after 30 days.)