Can I take my children on holiday abroad without the other parent’s consent?


Legally, you are required to obtain the consent of any parent with Parental Responsibility in the event you wish to take your children abroad. If the other parent with Parental Responsibility refuses to agree to the children going abroad with you, then you can make an application to the court for a Specific Issue Order for the court to make a ruling on this point.

If you have a Child Arrangements Order in your favour and the Order provides that the children or children of the family live with you, then you can take your children abroad for up to 28 days without the permission of the other parent.

In circumstances where children are taken abroad without the required consent of the other parent, the offence of child abduction will be committed.

In order to allow sufficient time for any applications that a Specific Issue Order to be made, you should plan your holiday with sufficient time to make any necessary application to the court, if this is required.

Footer bg

Would you like to know more?

For help and advice, talk to a member of our team. They can advise on the best options in your matter.

Call: 01708 229 444 Email us


Portfolio Builder

Select the legal services that you would like to download or add to the portfolio

Download    Add to portfolio   
Title Type CV Email

Remove All


Click here to share this shortlist.
(It will expire after 30 days.)